|Ministry will defend Latvia's interests at the EU Environment Council in Luxembourg
On 26 October, 2015 in Luxembourg, the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development of Latvia will represent Latvia's at the European Union Environment Council (ENV). The head of Latvian delegation at the Council meeting will be Mr Edgars Tavars, Parliamentary Secretary of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development. Ms Alda Ozola, the Deputy State Secretary for Environmental Protection also is part of the Latvian delegation.
The Council will hold the first policy debate on the review of the EU emission trading system (EU ETS), to ensure its effective functioning during the period between 2020 and 2030. The EU ETS is the main instrument of EU's climate policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and fight climate change. Ministers will discuss if the proposed reforms will enable the EU ETS to deliver towards the EU's climate objectives after 2020.
Ministers will also exchange views on how the environmental dimension could continus being an important aspect of the European Semester. The discussion will focus on the phasing out of environmentally-harmful subsidies and the implementation of environmental policies and legislation.
The Council will also address the implementation challenges of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development 'Transforming our world', which was adopted at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in New York on 25 - 27 September, 2015. The 2030 Agenda sets out 17 Sustainable Development Goals integrating environmental, social and economic aspects in a balanced way. Environmental dimension is directly reflected in 5 Sustainable Development Goals* The Council will exchange views on the next EU steps to achieve these objectives.
The ministers will also address the real exhaust emissions from cars, as they have a significant impact on the air quality.
Public Relations Division
Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development
Phone: +371 67026533
*Sustainable Development Goals in environmental field:
- ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all (goal 6);
- ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns (goal 12);
- take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (goal 13);
- conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development (goal 14);
- protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss (goal 15).